1 hr 20 mins
This is our New Year's Day cabbage dish. My husband, who is not a cabbage lover, will actually eat this and ask for seconds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1/2 cup dry seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1In a pot of salted boiling water, cook cabbage and carrots until crisp-tender.
- 2In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat; saute onions until tender.
- 3Add in flour, salt, and pepper; stir and cook until bubbly.
- 4Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened.
- 5Drain cabbage and carrots; place half in a greased 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- 6Top with half of the sauce.
- 7Sprinkle with half of the cheese; repeat layers.
- 8In a smaller skillet, melt remainder of butter.
- 9Add bread crumbs, marjoram, and thyme.
- 10Cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- 11Sprinkle over casserole.
- 12Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender and bread crumb topping is browned.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Cabbage Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.5
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 231.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: