Recipe by GalicioBocharit
This was my grandmother's signature cake--she once took it overseas in a suitcase for my mother's birthday! It's moist, not too sweet and a nice mix of chocolate and nuts. You can substitute matzo meal for the breadcrumbs to make this for Passover.
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 100 g dark chocolate, grated
- 100 g ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 2 tablespoons liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and gradually add sugar until stiff and shiny.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and mix with the egg yolks, then gently add to egg whites.
- Mix dry ingredients and fold gently into egg mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased springform pan and bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees.
- Drizzle brandy on top of the baked cake.
- Once the cake is cold, you can coat it with a layer of dark chocolate or dak chocolate melted with margarine.