Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a slow weekend dish but worth it. The delicious aroma whilst cooking is quite something and will ensure that everyone eating will have a good appetite!
- 2 1⁄2 kg beef brisket, as un-fatty as possible
- salt and pepper
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 3 ml celery salt
- 3 ml dried thyme
- 3 ml dried oregano
- 375 ml red wine
- 375 ml beef stock
- Rub salt and pepper all over brisket.
- Brown on all sides in pan then remove to cool.
- Place pan drippings into casserole place all vegetables into dish.
- Sprinkle celery salt, thyme and origanum over.
- Put meat on top of vegetables.
- Pour in wine and stock.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake at 160C for 1 ½ hours.
- Turn meat over and continue baking for 2 more hours.
- Remove meat, pour over a little of the gravy and thicken the rest.