Recipe by **Jubes**
A Sally Wise recipe from her cookbook "From My Kitchen to Yours". This pastry can be used for pies or tarts. Sally suggests that you can add 2 teaspoons of geatine/gelatin powder that has been sprinkled over 1/4 cup water and left to stand for 10 minutes. Add the gelatin with the egg and an addditional tablespoon of flour. The gelatine makes the pastry easier to roll but is not a necessity. Use this pastry in your recipes to make savoury pies or tarts and bake according to the recipe being used. I haven't yet tried this recipe
- 180 g gluten-free self-raising flour (use a store bought ready blended flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 90 g butter, chilled and cut into cubes (dairy free margarine can be used for lactose free or dairy free pastry)
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the flour, salt and cubed butter into a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. (If you dont have a food processor, you can rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips).
- Turn out of the bowl and make a well into the centre.
- Briefly mix the egg yolk with the lemon juice and combine with the water.
- Pour the egg/lemon mic into the well and mix with a metal spoonuntil smooth. Only add extra water if necessary to bring the dough together.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover with cling warp and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.