Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very good side dish for many different main courses.
Make and share this Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- Use a little of the butter to fry the onion, paprika and the garlic until they are soft.
- Use the rest of the butter to spread on the bread and grease an ovenproof dish.
- Cut each slice of bread into triangles and arrange 6 slices, butter side up, in the dish.
- Sprinkle over half the onion-garlic mix and half the cheese.
- Arrange the remaining slices on top, this time with the butter side facing down, and top this with the rest of the onion-garlic and the cheese In a jug mix together the yolk, eggs, milk and seasoning.
- Pour the egg-mixture over the bread.
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes minimal, maximal 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Uncover the pudding; bake for 40 to 45 minutes until brown and the custard has set.
- Serve with the parsley sprinkled over.
this is to die for! we actually sat there with spoons eating it right out of the pan! i had some leftover herb bread that i baked and sourdough that i purchased, so i used one layer of each. i am sure you could add spinach and mushrooms to the onion mix, going to try that next time. i bake alot of breads and this is the perfect way to use the leftovers, a keeper!
I have to honestly say that my family went wild over this! My 13 year old said it was grilled-cheese pie! I had a few of Yogi's Tasty Buns and cut them up (with the crusts) to use here, and the bread with the cheese, with the garlic, totally yummy! I'm on a diet and couldn't resist! Annelies, thanks so much for this recipe, it's going to be a staple in this house.
This was my first attempt at making bread & butter pudding, and I must say it was a total success! Very more-ish. Thanks for posting