Recipe by truebrit
Top Review by Vicki in Kansas Brown
This meat loaf was easy to make and very good, I added a small can of mushrooms to the stuffing, drained off the fat and used it to make a brown gravy. Served it with Garlic Mashed Potatoes #68159. My 14 year old grandson said it was the best he'd ever had! Thanks for posting
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 slices bacon, Cut Up
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
MEAT LOAF STUFFING
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup onion, Chopped, 1 Sm
- 1⁄2 cup celery & leaves, Chopped
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, Snipped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients except the stuffing together.
- Spread 2/3rds of the mixture into an ungreased loaf pan 9 X 5 X 3-inches, pressing the mixture up the sides of the pan to within 3/4 inch of the top.
- Spoon the stuffing onto the mixture in the pan and then top with the remaining meat mixture covering the stuffing completely.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into thick slices.
- Serve on a heated platter.
- MEAT LOAF STUFFING: Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and the celery and cook an stir until the onion is tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients.