Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another gem from Eating Well (April/May 2005).
Make and share this Savory Breakfast Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 3⁄4 cup diced Canadian bacon (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup minced red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat muffin tin with cooking spray or line with papers.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil, and butter. Fold in scallions, Canadian bacon, cheese, and red pepper.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. Scoop into muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 - 22 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from tin. Serve warm!
Scrum-dittily-umptious! I've been looking for a quick savory breakfast for a loooooong time. I'm not a big sweets-in-the-morning girl and this really hit the spot! Next time I'm going to add scrambled eggs!
Carianne, I came to post this myself, but here they are! I just baked up a batch for today's breakfast, and they're very good. I used 3 strips of leftover bacon, and half parmesan for the cheese. I also used whole wheat pastry flour, replacing 1/2 c with soy flour for added protein and fiber. Next time I'll add more salt (because I didn't use the called-for amount of the salty meat, they could've used a bit more-- that was solved this time around by sprinkling a bit of salt on each half post-baking). My copy of Eating Well indicates 2 T melted butter and 1 cup sliced scallions. Thanks for posting!