Savory Breakfast Muffins.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup scallion, thinly sliced (about 1 bunch)
- 3⁄4 cup Canadian bacon, diced (3 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a medium bowl. Fold in scallions, bacon, cheese and bell pepper. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Reheat & Run Bake muffins on weekends and enjoy the leftovers for grab-and-go weekday breakfasts. Wrap leftover muffins individually in plastic wrap, place in a plastic storage container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!