Prep 1 hr
Cook 48 hrs
Delicious for pulled pork sandwiches.
- 5 lbs boston butt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, paprika, salt pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
- Rub the mixture into the pork and coat thoroughly. cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and up to 24 hours.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in the crock pot when you are ready to cook. Add the pork and cook 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the pork from the liquid and immediately pull apart into shreds with two forks.
- Place the shredded pork in a large ovenproof dish. Toss the shredded pork with enough cooking liquid to keep it moist - plus some extra as it will absorb some of the liquid while sitting and reheating.
- Refrigerate overnight or up to 36 hours.
- Bake the pork at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes to reheat.
I tasted this after completing step 4 and was so disappointed as there just didn't seem to be much flavor. I refrigerated the pork and then the next day reheated as directed. What a difference a day makes! The pork was then nicely flavored and so good! I squirted on a vinegar based sauce and topped with coleslaw for a very enjoyable meal.