Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
Savarins are buttery yeast-leavened cakes after a famous French politician. Serve with your favorite berries or pie filling. From Country Living
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 (2 1/4 teaspoon) package yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 quart fresh berries
- In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and 1 tbsp sugar; stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand until foamy -- about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining sugar, the flour, and salt. Add yeast mixture and eggs; beat with a wooden spoon. The dough will be wet. Cover and let rise until doubled - about an hour.
- With a wooden spoon, beat butter into dough; spoon dough into greased tube pan. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise in warm place until nearly doubled in size -- about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375* F. Bake until golden brown and firm -- 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Unmold onto wire rack and let cool 15 minutes.
- Fill center with fruit and dust with powdered sugar if desired.