Select small mushroom varieties that will fit into the small phyllo cups, such as yellow oyster, yellow foot, and cultivated enoki. Use a muffin tin that has two-inch-wide and one-inch-deep cups. Beautiful appetizer! MarthaStewart.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, plus more
- fresh thyme, for garnish
- 12 sheets frozen 11 1/2-by-16-inch phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup minced shallot (2 shallots)
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, wiped clean
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350ºF; with the rack positioned in the center.
- 2Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, and set aside.
- 3Set 2 tablespoons of the thyme aside.
- 4Brush a mini-muffin tin with melted butter, and set tin aside.
- 5Place 1 sheet phyllo dough on a clean, dry work surface; brush the entire sheet generously with melted butter.
- 6Sprinkle lightly with reserved thyme.
- 7Place another sheet phyllo on top, brush with butter, and sprinkle with thyme.
- 8Repeat with 2 more sheets phyllo.
- 9Cut stack into twelve 3-inch squares.
- 10Gently press each square into muffin-tin cup.
- 11Bake until edges are just golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 12Repeat step two with 4 more sheets phyllo dough, melted butter, and thyme.
- 13Repeat again, for a total of 36 crisps. (The crisps may be made one day ahead and kept in an airtight container.).
- 14In a large skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- 15Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 16Stir in mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme.
- 17Continue cooking, stirring often, until mushrooms have released some liquid and have cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 18Place 1/4 teaspoon goat cheese in the bottom of each phyllo crisp, and place 1 heaping teaspoon of the mushroom mixture on top of the goat cheese.
- 19Transfer the filled cups to a baking sheet.
- 20Cook in oven just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- 21Garnish with more thyme, and serve.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauteed Mushrooms in Phyllo Cups
Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.9
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 11.8 mg
- Sodium 47.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 1.4 g