Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
Select small mushroom varieties that will fit into the small phyllo cups, such as yellow oyster, yellow foot, and cultivated enoki. Use a muffin tin that has two-inch-wide and one-inch-deep cups. Beautiful appetizer! MarthaStewart.com
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, plus more
- fresh thyme, for garnish
- 12 sheets frozen 11 1/2-by-16-inch phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot (2 shallots)
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, wiped clean
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF; with the rack positioned in the center.
- Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, and set aside.
- Set 2 tablespoons of the thyme aside.
- Brush a mini-muffin tin with melted butter, and set tin aside.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo dough on a clean, dry work surface; brush the entire sheet generously with melted butter.
- Sprinkle lightly with reserved thyme.
- Place another sheet phyllo on top, brush with butter, and sprinkle with thyme.
- Repeat with 2 more sheets phyllo.
- Cut stack into twelve 3-inch squares.
- Gently press each square into muffin-tin cup.
- Bake until edges are just golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat step two with 4 more sheets phyllo dough, melted butter, and thyme.
- Repeat again, for a total of 36 crisps. (The crisps may be made one day ahead and kept in an airtight container.).
- In a large skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, until mushrooms have released some liquid and have cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon goat cheese in the bottom of each phyllo crisp, and place 1 heaping teaspoon of the mushroom mixture on top of the goat cheese.
- Transfer the filled cups to a baking sheet.
- Cook in oven just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with more thyme, and serve.