Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
Select small mushroom varieties that will fit into the small phyllo cups, such as yellow oyster, yellow foot, and cultivated enoki. Use a muffin tin that has two-inch-wide and one-inch-deep cups. Beautiful appetizer! MarthaStewart.com
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme, plus more
- fresh thyme, for garnish
- 12 sheets frozen 11 1/2-by-16-inch phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot (2 shallots)
- 8 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, wiped clean
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF; with the rack positioned in the center.
- Melt 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, and set aside.
- Set 2 tablespoons of the thyme aside.
- Brush a mini-muffin tin with melted butter, and set tin aside.
- Place 1 sheet phyllo dough on a clean, dry work surface; brush the entire sheet generously with melted butter.
- Sprinkle lightly with reserved thyme.
- Place another sheet phyllo on top, brush with butter, and sprinkle with thyme.
- Repeat with 2 more sheets phyllo.
- Cut stack into twelve 3-inch squares.
- Gently press each square into muffin-tin cup.
- Bake until edges are just golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat step two with 4 more sheets phyllo dough, melted butter, and thyme.
- Repeat again, for a total of 36 crisps. (The crisps may be made one day ahead and kept in an airtight container.).
- In a large skillet, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme.
- Continue cooking, stirring often, until mushrooms have released some liquid and have cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon goat cheese in the bottom of each phyllo crisp, and place 1 heaping teaspoon of the mushroom mixture on top of the goat cheese.
- Transfer the filled cups to a baking sheet.
- Cook in oven just until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Garnish with more thyme, and serve.