Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A very good, refreshing and healthy side/salad. Perfect for summer
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup fresh spinach leaves, torn
- 1⁄4 cup chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- coarse salt, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- Place stock in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and remove immediately from heat. Bring to a boil and remove immediately from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Add couscous, stir and cover. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. When hot, add tomatoes, spinach, chick peas, garlic and shallot. Saute for 3 minutes or until tomatoes start to soften. Add basil and toss well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to serving bowl. Add tomato mixture and gently combine. Serve at room temperature.
This is a great healthy light dish that you can add or remove ingredients to make your own . I used 1/4 cup chopped walnuts instead of chickpeas but will do both next time. I also added 1/4 cup more spinach. In addition, I first sautÃ©ed the garlic with about 1 cup of fresh green beans.