Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
Delicious as a side dish, this easy saute becomes a simple vegetarian entree tossed with pasta and sprinkled with cheese.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled,finely chopped
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed,peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded,deveined and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup pitted chopped kalamata olive
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium and add the onion, asparagus and the pepper and saute for about 2 minutes, or until the asparagus becomes tender (but remains crisp).
- Toss in the chopped olives and the lemon juice and cook another minute.
- Serve immediately.
What a good side dish thanks Dancer, and the only one we needed. The only change we made was to slice the onion into very thin wedges and saute it for a few minutes before proceeding with the recipe. So much colour, so many flavours.
This is a very unique and delicious combination of flavors!!! I used a shallot instead of a red onion and I loved the sweetness that the shallot and red bell pepper lent to the briny saltiness of the olives and the tang of the lemon. I did salt and pepper my veggies in the beginning before adding the lemon juice and olives. This tasted great and looked wonderful, thanks for the recipe!!
Very nice veggie side, and with all of the veggie colors makes for a beautiful presentation as well. The only change I made was to omit the oil. I started with a hot pan, got the veggies going and then added a few tbsp of water to the pan. Worked beautifully and the veggies still had a sauteed and not steamed taste. The lemon juice was a nice touch and provided a lightness and freshness to the dish. Thank you Dancer for sharing the recipe.