Recipe by Paris D
Modified from a recipe on netplaces.com. Baking time includes the time out of then oven to cool, cut and put back in the oven.
- 2 pieces bacon
- 3 ounces beef liver
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup water, more if needed
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until brown and crunchy. Allow the bacon to cool. Crumble it by hand or pulse it in a food processor.
- Add the liver to the skillet with the bacon drippings and sauté until the liver is firm and no longer pink.
- Pulse the cooked liver in a food processor and slowly add the canola oil or bacon drippings. Process till the mixture forms a paste. Add the water slowly, and continue processing till smooth and creamy.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and bacon bits together.
- Make a well in the flour and add the liver mixture all at once. Combine with an electric mixer on medium speed using a paddle attachment. Mix till dough forms and all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a slightly floured surface and shape it into a flat disc. Flatten the dough to a ½-inch thickness.
- Bake 18–25 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven, cool it slightly, and cut it into ½-inch strips. Rotate the pan and cut the strips into ½-inch cubes. Separate the cubes and return pan to oven. Bake biscuits for another 15–20 minutes. Remove the biscotti from the oven, cool them on a baking rack, and store them in a cookie tin.