Recipe by Gagoo
A different take on stuffed mushrooms. I prepared these for a snack on Thanksgiving - while waiting for the bird and all the fixins to get done. They were a great success and were eaten with gusto, the cream cheese made for a smooth taste. Could substitute sweet Italian sausage for the regular pork sausage, whatever your tastes prefer.
- 24 fresh mushrooms, large & whole
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped, green parts reserved
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated plus more for topping
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease a sheet tray or line with parchment paper.
- Clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Carefully break off the stems and using the tip of a spoon hollow out the center of the mushrooms.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Transfer the cooked sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Add the white chopped scallions to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the scallions to the sausage and cool.
- When the sausage and scallion mixture is no longer hot, stir in the Parmesan, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and softened cream cheese. The mixture should be very thick. Using a small spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of the stuffing. Top with additional Parmesan if desired. Arrange the mushroom caps evenly on the prepared sheet tray.
- Place in the oven and bake until the mushrooms are piping hot and liquid starts to form under the caps about 20 minutes. Garnish with the reserved green scallions.