Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the book, Celebrating Our Equality by Carolyn Quick Tillery. DH loves sausage and he loves stuffed mushrooms, so I can't wait to make these.
- 24 large mushroom caps
- 8 ounces ground sausage meat
- 1⁄2 of a small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wipe mushrooms clean, cut away and discard any dirty or woody stem ends and remove the stems carefully.
- Avoid damaging the caps.
- Finely chop stems and combine with the sausage meat, onion, garlic, half the parsley, theme and tarragon.
- Mix well and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Pour 1 T olive oil in heavy pan and heat it over a moderate burner or flame.
- Add the sausage meat mixture and cook for about 5 minutes, crumbling and blending it with a fork until it is lightly browned.
- Add additional olive oil as needed.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Evenly divide the mixture and stuff the caps.
- Combine bread crumbs and remaining parsley.
- Sprinkle over the stuffed mushrooms and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are nicely browned.
- Serve immediately.