Recipe by cindenman
I have been making this recipe for 2 years now and everyone I make if for loves it and always request seconds. The stuffing in this recipe can also be used quite nicely in stuffed mushrooms as well.
Top Review by cinturn1
Awesome receipe even though I tweaked it with 4 oz cream cheese and shredded 4 cheeses (mixed in with rest of ingredients instead of at end), Used mild ground sausage broke it up manually instead into of using blender. Too many dishes!
- 8 banana peppers
- 1 lb jimmy dean hot sausage (for extral kick)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup ritz butter flavored cracker, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
- 1 pinch parsley
- 1⁄2-1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 cup olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean peppers by carefull slicing a T into pepper being careful not to cut the cap off. slice down the length of pepper but leave enough at the bottom so that pepper is not cut to the very end. Remove all seeds. If you don't like your peppers too hot you can soak the cleaned peppers in cold water for and hour and this will lessen the heat of the pepper.
- Brown your sausage with the minced garlic, pepper & parsley.
- While sausage is cooking, crush the Ritz crackers into a fine crumbs. Add parmesan cheese to cracker mix and combine well.
- Remove cooked sausage and chop finely in blender so it appears more like ground sausage. Place ground sausage in bowl. Add crushed Ritz crackers and parmesan cheese and mix well. Add 1-2 Tbsp of melted butter to mix so help make the stuffing moist if it appears to dry but not wet.
- Preheat stove to 375 degrees.
- Spoon stuffing into peppers. Fill generously from top to bottom of pepper.
- Depending what type of dish or dishes you use to bake the peppers, I ususally use 2 casserole dishes and pour the olive oil into the bottom of the pans so there is about a 1/2 of olive oil in pans. Lay peppers in baking dishes. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Pull peppers out and generously spread shredded mozzarella cheese over peppers. Bake for 5-10 minutes so cheese is melted well.
- Cool slightly and serve.