Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can make this into a lower-fat version by using lower-fat cheeses and alfredo sauce. Italian sausages may be replaced for the turkey sausage. Purchase a good-quality alfredo sauce for this, it will make all the difference to this recipe, really you can use as much sauce as desired, the amount listed is only a guideline. This can be completely prepared up to 24 hours in advance, covered and refrigerated, or you can prepared the ricotta/spinach mixture up to a day ahead. This lasagna is *delicious* :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed, can use 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon oil (can use more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (no more than 1 teaspoon or it will overpower the other ingredients!)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white salt or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (20 ounce) jars alfredo sauce (reduced-fat is okay)
- 12 lasagna noodles (cooked and tossed gently with 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (can use more)
- 3⁄4-1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet brown the turkey sausage meat in 1 tablespoon oil along with the onion, garlic and cayenne pepper; cook breaking up the sausage meat while browning.
- Cook until browned then add in the chopped red peppers; cook for another 2 minutes; drain fat and set aside.
- Place the spinach in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes; place in a small colinder, rinse under cold water then hand-squeeze very dry.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl, then add in the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, fresh garlic, 1 egg, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, seasoned salt and black pepper; mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Spread 1 cup alfredo sauce onto the bottom of prepared baking dish, then top with 4 cooked lasagna noodles, then HALF of the ricotta/spinach mixture, then sprinkle HALF of the sausage mixture on top.
- Place about 1 cup (or more) of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the sausage.
- Repeat the layers (using 1 cup sauce, 4 lasagna noodles, remaining HALF of the spinach/ricotta mixture and then remaining HALF of the sausage mixture).
- Top with remaining 4 lasagna noodles, then 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese ( can use more cheese).
- Drizzle remaining alfredo sauce over the shredded cheese, then sprinkle with about 3/4 to 1 cup Parmesan cheese (or to taste).
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes.
- Let stand for 20 minutes (or more) before slicing.