Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I'm posting this for the Zaar World Tour 6 Germany. It is from the show What Would Brian Boitano Make? Don't be put off by the amount of ingredients, it comes together rather quickly.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small head savoy cabbage, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup german beer
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Secret Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons german beer
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 links smoked bratwursts, butterflied
- 2 cups canola oil
- 6 pretzel rolls or 1 small grinder roll
- Sauerkraut: Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Drop in the cabbage and saute for a few minutes until the greens have slightly wilted. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and cook until the liquid has reduced by half and cabbage is tender but still has a slight crunch. Set aside.
- Mustard: Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and set the sauce aside.
- Schnitzel: Set up a breading station using 3plates or pie dishes. To the first dish, add the flour. In the second dish, combine the eggs with the water and whisk them together. In the third dish, toss the bread crumbs with the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and healthy pinches of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Lightly dredged the sausages in the flour, then in the egg wash, and then coat them thoroughly in the bread crumb mixture. Set them aside on a sheet tray.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the sausages until brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Slice open each roll lengthwise and stuff them with the fried sausages. Top the portions with some sauerkraut, drizzle with the mustard and serve.
Pretty yummy! Savoy cabbage is used, not sauerkraut. I left the beer out of the mustard, runny even without it.
My bratwursts were raw, so I threw them on the charcoal grill and smoked them before I butterflied them and coated them. Otherwise, I made this exactly as posted. The mustard sauce is delicious, but a little runny. We really enjoyed this treat from ZWT6! Thanks for sharing.