Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
DELICIOUS! The French Fried Onions give great flavor to the potatoes and sausage in this dish. A hearty man's dish which only needs a side vegetable. You may use hot or mild sausage. Quick and easy preparation.
- Slice potatoes very thin and place in salted water. Boil until tender and drain.
- While potatoes are boiling, brown sausage and drain.
- Layer in a baking dish, one-half of potatoes, one-half of sausage, one-half cheese and one-half of french fried onions. Repeat a layer with other one-half of potatoes, sausage and cheese. (hold onions until next step is done).
- In a small bowl mix cream of chicken soup and milk. Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Top with remaining one-half of french fried onions.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes, watching carefully not to burn onions on top. Remove from oven and serve.
Everyone in my family thought this was a "keeper"! I followed the recipe except I layered everything once instead of multiple layers. My sauce wasn't runny at all. I baked mine in a 13x9" dish. 3 adults and 2 9-year old boys had plenty with some to spare. Thanks for posting, I will definitely make this again!
pretty good comfort food! seasoned sausage with a cabela's all purpose rub, cracked black pepper, and some minced onions and minced garlic. i boiled my potatoes a few minutes too long, so it was a lil mushy, which turned out fine. added some thinner sliced celery to the layers, as i had some to use up. didn't use the french fried onions, i may next time but would make em fresh. one layer of cheese i used monterey jack and the other layer was cheddar. used cream of celery instead of chicken. baked an additional 20 minutes as it was a lil runny. may use 1/2 c milk next time or 3/4c. nice quick meal that uses stuff i already have on hand! thanks Seasoned Cook!
Definitely a comfort food type of dish. We found it tasty, and it reminded us of a breakfast casserole. While we liked it, I'm not sure it will be a regular around our house, probably just show up when I have things on hand (like tonight). Thank you.