Recipe by kiwidutch
Well, I think the title of this speaks of itself-YUMMY! How could you go wrong?! Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! Since the igredients are very italian in style, I have chosen ZWT REGION: Italy.
Top Review by livingstonfran
Oh my goodness, what a sandwich. It was absolutely fantastic. I could not find Cubanell peppers so I substituted an Aneheim pepper. That was the only change that I made. The only problem that I had was being able to get enough of the sausage and peppers on the bread and keep it on the sandwich. I think that I used the wrong bread and will be thinking how to remedy this. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us.
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (light green mild Italian peppers)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 jarred hot cherry peppers or 2 -3 banana peppers or 2 -3 pepperoncini peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper juice, from the jar
- 4 submarine rolls, crunchy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, 1/2 a handful (or 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, thyme, parsley)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sausages in a large nonstick skillet. Pierce the casings with a fork. Add 1-inch water to the pan. Bring liquid to a boil. Cover sausages, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Heat a second skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add garlic, onion, cubanelle and red peppers. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Drain sausages and return pan to stove, raising heat back to medium high. Add a drizzle of oil to the skillet, brown and crisp the casings. Remove sausages, slice into 2 inch pieces on an angle and set pieces back into the pan to sear.
- Split and toast the bread under broiler.
- Melt oil, butter together in small pan over medium heat. Add garlic and let it sizzle 1 or 2 minutes.
- Brush rolls with garlic butter and sprinkle with a little dried Italian seasoning blend.
- Combine the cooked peppers and onions to the sausages. Add hot peppers and hot pepper juice to the skillet.
- Toss and turn the sausage, peppers and onions, picking up all the drippings from the pan. Pile the meat and peppers into the garlic sub rolls and serve.