Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A copycat-ish recipe of Puleo's Grille. This is normally served with grilled shrimp, which is a recipe I don't have, but any grilled shrimp recipe will do...and there's many on food.com. So get goin'!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced on 1/2-inch bias (fully cooked)
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced into lengthwise strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 sprig parsley, minced
- 1 cup grits, stone ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- Gravy: Melt butter and sift in flour, whisking constantly. Whisk for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture becomes golden brown. Whisk in broth and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season lightly with salt, pepper and ground red pepper.
- Grits: Cook grits according to package directions, substituting 1 1/2 cups each chicken broth and milk in place of the water. As the grits firm up, add parmesan cheese and stir; remove from heat.
- Sausage: Saute sausage in 1 tablespoon of oil or butter over high heat for about 1 minute or until sausage pices begin to brown. Should there be excessive residual grease, remove some.
- Add red, green and yellow peppers along with the onion and garlic. Add the cajun seasoning and continue cooking over medium high heat, until vegetables become translucent. Add fresh chopped parsley. If residue starts building up, deglaze with a little bit of water. Add enough gravy to coat all of the mixture and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve sausage mixture over the grits.