Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from Kathleen Daeleman's Today Show presentation. Everyone in my family loves it.
Make and share this Sausage, Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 9.85 ml oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 226.79 g reduced-fat Italian sausage, casings removed
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml fennel seed
- 1 small buttercup squash, peeled seeded diced
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot but not smoking, add onion and garlic. Cook, uncovered, stirring every now and then, until onion is completely softened, one to two minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking it apart with a spatula or spoon, until cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, broth, sweet potatoes, cumin, and fennel. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are almost done, about 10 minutes. Add squash and chickpeas and cook, uncovered, for 15-25 minutes more, until squash is fork-tender. Taste, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.
Very good, and pretty quick to put together. I liked the fennel/cumin combination. Use a whole pound of sausage or you won't be able to find it among the veg. I shortened the cooking time by adding the sweet potato and squash chunks at the same time. If the potato chunks are about 1/2 inch and the squash about 1 inch it will all be done at about the same time. I had never used buttercup squash before and I won't again, at least in this recipe. It was agonizing to peel and identical in taste to butternut.
We enjoyed this very much. I didn't have any squash so just doubled up on the sweet potato. I added red pepper flakes for a bit of a kick, though spicy sausage would probably achieve the same end. A nice combination of flavors and healthy, too. Thanks for posting a definite repeat recipe in our house.