Anytime I make this I have requests for the recipe. You can put it together the night before and just put it in the oven the next morning. I have substitued ham for the sausage and it also turns out good. It can also be made in the crockpot with success.
- 2 lbs sausage, browned and drained
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces French onion dip
- 1⁄8 cup onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen shredded hash browns
- Combine 1 3/4 cups cheese and next 6 ingredients.
- Fold in potatoes.
- Spread half of the mixture into a baking dish (9x13 inches).
- Top with sausage.
- Top with remaining potato mixture.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
This was very creamy and delicious. Since there was so much sauce, I added about 24 ounces of hash browns. I did add some kosher salt and pepper. The peppers and onions were still crunchy at the end of the baking time. So if you'd like them tender, I would suggest sauteing them. To cover the dish as it was baking, I used a cookie sheet. This was made for Preemie Care Center during Fall 2011 PAC
Had to cut this recipe back by half, but pretty much followed it otherwise! I used a sweet Italian sausage & then made it as a 8"x8" casserole dish! Easy to prepare, & very comforting breakfast! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]