Montana Heart Song's Note:
This is a recipe to freeze and heat in microwave for teens. This has cornmeal in the beans as well as spices and green chiles. When wrapping, you add either sour cream or cream cheese before the sausage bean mixture, then the shredded cheese and freeze. An option: add some scrambled eggs before the cheese if you want these for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g ground sausage, cooked
- 73.94 ml dried onion, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (optional)
- 118.29 ml water
- 2 (850.48 g) can pinto beans or 2 (850.48 g) can great northern beans
- 2 (850.48 g) can refried beans (optional)
- 2 (226.79 g) can mild green chilies or 2 (226.79 g) can hot green chili peppers
- 88.74 ml ground cornmeal
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml onion salt
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 59.14 ml shredded monterey jack cheese, for each burrito
- 14.79 ml sour cream or 14.79 ml cream cheese, for each burrito
- 20-24 corn tortillas or 20-24 flour tortillas
- 1Cook the sausage and break apart,when almost cooked add the onions and the water, turn the heat to low and simmer about 5 minutes until water is absorbed and onions tender and cooked. Set aside. Do not drain the grease.
- 2Mash beans in a 2 quart baking container with the juice.
- 3Add the sausage and onions and liquid from the pan.
- 4Add the chilies with juice and cornmeal.
- 5Add the spices and stir in until mixed well.
- 6Preheat oven 375*.
- 7Cover dish and bake 25 minutes.
- 8Uncover and take spatula and go around the sides of dish and mix in baked crust.
- 9that is on the sides. Cool. This will set up.
- 10Put a damp towel in the microwave and heat 4- 5 tortillas, corn or flour at a time.
- 11Assemble line the warm tortillas.
- 12Spread cream cheese or sour cream. down the center. yOU MAY SPREAD AROUND AND COVER THE WHOLE TORTILLA IF YOU WISH.
- 13Then the cooled spiced sausage bean mixture on lower 3rd. Do not overload.
- 14Then top with cheese.
- 15Tuck ends in and roll up. Seam side down.
- 16I place in a 9 X13 pan until I get all of the burritos completed. Sometime I put a large sheet of waxed paper on top of the row of burritos in the pan, layer the next row and freeze. Then I take out and repackage. Your method of choice.
- 17Double plastic bag each one or place waxed paper between each burrito and fill large freeze bags with burritos.
- 18To microwave take burrito out of freezer bag, set microwave on 2 minutes at 80% power for 1200 watt microwave. Try it on 1 minute incraments, all microwaves heat differently.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Bean Burrito OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.5
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 445.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 12.8 g