Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great fill you up, stick to your ribs till lunch breakfast. Leftovers are great warmed up for late night snack. You need to make two crusts as this will be using a lid. crust recipe is from crisco. so much better than store bought in my opinion. Takes a little extra time, but hey who cares if the results are worth it.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter flavor shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 1⁄2 lb thick sliced bacon, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sage
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 egg yolks, whisked
- Pie Crust:.
- Add flour and salt in bowl.
- Cut in shortening till flour resembles small peas.
- Add water and knead till dough is soft and pliable.
- Cover in plastic and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While crust is chilling cook bacon and sausage. Do not drain.
- Whisk eggs in bowel with spices till eggs are fluffy. Set aside.
- Putting it all together:.
- Roll out pie crust on floured surface. Should be thin 1/8 in to 1/4 in will do nicely. (I tend to stay on the 1/8 in side.).
- Roll dough up onto your rolling pin and roll out over 9in deep dish pie plate.
- Gently lift up edges and help crust down into the pie plate starting in the center and moving to the outer edges to remove air out from under crust.
- With a fork poke holes in bottom of pie crust. (this helps air escape so it doesn't bubble up in the middle.).
- Flute edges as desired.
- Whisk an egg yolk and brush over the crust. (this is to help seal crust so it doesn't get soggy while baking.).
- Mix sausage and bacon together and put in pie crust.
- Pour egg and spice mixture into the pie.
- Top with extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- Take the second pie crust and use as a lid on the pie.
- Press edges of both crusts together.
- Using a knife cut vent slices in center of crust in an x pattern.
- Brush lid with rest of whisked yolk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 min or until crust is golden brown.
- A toothpick inserted in center of pie should come out clean if eggs are done.
The original description is so accurate. I didn't need to eat again until dinner time!
This was good and quite filling, I am glad I made it for our weekly 'breakfast for dinner' night! Both DH and I agree there was a lot of sausage and not as much egg (the cheese was perfect!) Next time (there will be a next time) I will do 1/2 lb sausage and add 3-4 more eggs. Made for 123Hits.
This is great and so easy!