Recipe by hels
I'm not a fan of ordinary sausage and mash, but this one I'll happily eat. This recipe will happily multiply up to at least 6 servings, but I only ever cook it for 1, so that's what my proportions are. If the amount of potatoes seems enormous, cut it down a bit. One of my problems is that my baking dish holds about 1-and-a-third portions of this recipe, so quantities may be a bit skewed! :o) Adding something like mustard powder or cayenne pepper might work quite well, if you feel that the dish is too bland. Skinless sausages are ideal for this recipe, but it's not a problem if you can't get them
Top Review by kiwidutch
We liked it we loved it... I loved it and Dh liked it, I used Bacon and quite a lot of cheese and one very large onion and it was lovely comfort food. I alwasys boil my sausages before frying due to childhood horror BBQs where they were served raw in the middle but charred on the outside so a light fry up just to brown them in the mimimum of butter went well. Please see my rating system: 4 stars for easy comfort food that was tasty indeed. Thanks!
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled
- 2 teaspoons butter (a knob)
- 2 sausages
- 2 slices ham or 2 slices cooked bacon
- 2 ounces grated cheese, plus extra for the top
- 1⁄2 onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the potatoes into even-sized pieces and put in a saucepan of boiling water to boil for about 15- 20 mins.
- While potatoes are boiling, part cook the sausages (grill or fry) and chop into 1/2 inch long pieces.
- Chop the ham into 1 inch squares.
- Chop and fry the onion.
- When the potatoes are fully cooked, drain them and return them to the saucepan.
- Mash with the butter.
- Add milk until you have a smooth mixture.
- The mashed potato should look smooth, but not move when you tip the bowl.
- Add the cheese, onion and any seasonings (salt, pepper, mustard, cayenne pepper, etc) at this point.
- Place a layer of mashed potato in the bottom of a greased oven bowl.
- Add the sausage and ham.
- Layer the rest of the potato on top.
- Grate more cheese over the top.
- Cook in the centre of the oven, gas mark 5, 190 deg C for about 3/4 of an hour.
- Check after 1/2 an hour!