Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was craving pasta one night and couldn't find a recipe that looked good.. so i made up my own. Not bad, I think it has nice flavour. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli, but if you use frozen I recommend defrosting in the microwave for a minute or so, just so its not too cold.
- 500 g penne, cooked to al dente
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
- Boil pasta in salted water to al dente.
- While pasta is boiling, remove casings from sausage and scramble fry with onions and garlic until no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes, undrained, and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, pepper, basil and Italian seasoning. Boil 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and cook until soft.
- Continue cooking to desired consistency (I like it a little runnier than most, I like to soak up sauce with bread).
- Add half the parmesan cheese, and mix through (optional).
- Toss pasta with sauce.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with more parmesan, if desired.
Delicious and it feeds a lot! I made it for us and our company and it was a great hit. I did add some red pepper flakes for a little zing and some tomato sauce as a previous reviewer did to thicken the sauce a little more. I did use turkey hot Italian sausage and would definately make this again. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
Very good! I halved this recipe and it was still plenty for 4 or 5 people. I also added cauliflower, a can of artichoke hearts (packed in water) and some sun-dried tomatoes. YUMMY!
We loved this! Good thing there was none left. I would have overstuffed myself. I added extra garlic and a dash of tomato sauce to thicken the sauce. I also added a little bit more broccoli. My DH said to make this again. Thanks!