Broccoli Pasta in a Fresh Tomato Sauce
Determined to create my very own, 100% original pasta recipe, which I could call "mine" in all honestly, I made this for lunch today and was so thrilled with its fresh, light taste that I just HAD to post it and let everyone know that I'm not as unimaginative as I though! :) Reserving the pasta water saves some of the nutrients of broccoli from getting wasted.
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces pasta (Fusili works best!)
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 2 - 2 1⁄2 cups water
FOR THE SAUCE
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Bring a medium pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and cook 5-8 minutes more, or until pasta is al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and saute the chopped onion until translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the pasta-broccoli water.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the flame to high, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the most of the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat and season with basil, parsley and oregano.
- Stir in the cooked pasta-broccoli mixture and mix well to coat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot!