Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a filling and healthy recipe, with very little oil and lots of fibre from those black beans. If you don't like it spicy, you can always leave out the cayenne pepper.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 6 thick hot Italian sausages, chopped and skins removed
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 (400 g) carton passata
- 1 (400 g) can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon spanish paprika
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 dried guindilla pepper (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently sauté the onion, garlic and celery for a couple minutes.
- Add the sausage and continue cooking until browned.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, passata, beans, sugar, water and spices, as well as the dried pepper.
- Stir and cover for a few minutes, until the mixture comes up to a slow simmer.
- Take the cover off and let the mixture gently bubble for another 30-45 minutes, until it reaches the desired thickness.