Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have been making this for years. I got the idea from a recipe in the old Joy of Cooking and just modified from there. This is great comfort food
- 946.0 ml sauerkraut, drained
- 113.39 g bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, raw and grated
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml caraway seed
- 2 (850.48 g) can chicken broth
- Saute bacon until crisp.
- remove bacon to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- saute onion in bacon fat until browned.
- add sauerkraut and saute for 5 minutes; add potato, chicken stock, reserved bacon, black pepper and caraway.
- Bring to a boil and simmer on lowest heat for 20 minutes- stirring frequently, then cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes- stirring every 10 minutes.
Wow! Lots of flavor in this kraut. I oven roasted the bacon till crisp. My Kraut had shredded carrots. Used for topping hot dogs. Made for ZWT 2011. Thanks!
Cut the recipe in half and made to serve with Pork Schnitzel. Easy to make and nice texture but felt it was too bland . . . the sauerkraut flavor was too diluted. Maybe for those who like sauerkraut, don't drain and cut back on the broth. Made for ZWT #6.
I'm not usually a Sauerkraut fan, but this is delicious. That said, I altered your ratio and used less sauerkraut than called for and had excellent results. Made for ZWT #6 and I'm a Quisine Queen!