Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
An amazing mix of sauerkraut hidden in custard and topped with whipped cream. Don't tell them what their eating until after the pie is gone, and it will be.
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup sauerkraut (chopped and well drained)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pie shell (9 inch)
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix milk, well drained chopped sauerkraut, brown and white sugars, eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture into 9 inch pie shell.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for about 30 - 35 minutes or until a knife inserted into filling about half way between edge and center, comes out clean.
- Serve topped with a tablespoon or two of whipped cream.
This pie is oddly awesome. However, I will make a couple changes next time. I think I'll cut back the milk 1/2 Cup as it nearly spilled over the top of the crust and took about 45 minutes to fully cook. I would also recommend squeezing out as much sauerkraut juice as you can before adding the kraut to the other ingredients. I also have to wonder, this is so much like coconut I wonder if a little coconut extract would fool the picky eaters in my house. I might even try that as well.