Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
A tasty change from plain meatballs! This recipe came from my Mom.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons cool water
- Mix together the beef, milk, breadcrumbs, cloves, allspice, salt, and pepper.
- Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- In a skillet, brown the meatballs in hot oil.
- Drain off the fat then add 1 cup water, vinegar, ginger, bay leaf, and brown sugar.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the remaining liquid, then remove the meatballs from the skillet and set aside, keeping them warm.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Mix flour and the 2 tablespoons cool water, then gradually stir into the pan juices to make gravy.
- Pour gravy over meatballs and serve with buttered noodles.
Great dish. I will go less on the allspice and cloves but loved this one. It is so different than anything I have tried. Served with brussel sprouts for a side.
I grew up in Germany and was craving the Sauerbraten taste but I didn't want to marinate meat for a week. This did the trick so well that I made it two nights in a row. My family loved it.
I tried these last night, and thought they were just ok. They were a little to vinegary for my taste. I have another meatball recipe I like better so I'll probably not use this one again