Recipe by Nif
This is probably the most common meal in Saudi Arabia. There are lots of veggies and is the only recipe that you need to make for supper. You may want to include some type of flatbread, but that's about it! This is delicious and not at all hard to make. Enjoy!
Top Review by Corilayn
This was an excellent main dish to go with Barb's salad. Only adjustment I made to the recipe was adding about 1/2cup sauteed swiss chard to the dish. It's delicious. Made for forum event: Let's Go to Saudi Arabia
- 59.14 ml cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 907.18-1360.77 g chicken, cut up
- 340.19 g can tomato puree
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 709.77 ml hot water
- 2 carrots, grated
- grated rind of one orange, just the orange layer and none of the white
- 3 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- salt & pepper
- 453.59 g long grain rice
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 59.14 ml sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onion in oil over medium-high heat until it begins to brown. Turn heat to low and add chicken pieces, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes and garlic and stir for about five minutes. Add hot water, grated carrot, orange rind, spices, salt and pepper to taste. Turn up heat to medum and cook, covered, for about 20-25 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken. Set aside to keep warm. Stir rice into the liquid in the pan, and cook, covered over low heat for about 35 - 40 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove cinnamon, cloves and cardamom or warn your guests to look out for them!
- Put rice on a serving with chicken pieces arranged around the circumference. Sprinkle raisins and almonds over all.