A easy sauce that works very well on vegetables and fish. Can be prepared with or without the mushrooms. This recipe comes from Marie Antonin Careme, "L'Art de la cuisine francaise au dix-neuvieme siecle", 1854, vol III. Preparation and cook times are approximate. Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare a sauce bechamel:.
- 2Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- 3Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes.
- 4Do not allow the flour to brown.
- 5Gradually mix in the milk and bring to a low boil.
- 6When the sauce is thick and smooth, stir in the nutmeg and pepper.
- 7Taste for salt.
- 8Keep the sauce at a low simmer until needed.
- 9Prepare the mushrooms:.
- 10Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a fry pan over medium heat.
- 11Add the sliced mushrooms, sprinkle lightly with salt and cook.
- 12Stir often to prevent burning.
- 13When the mushrooms start to release water, add the lemon juice and increase the heat to high.
- 14When all the liquid has evaporated, add the mushrooms to the sauce.
- 15Just before serving, off the heat, stir in the last 1 tablespoon of butter.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sauce Bechamel Aux Champignons (White Sauce With Mushrooms)
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.8
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 211.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g