Top Review by labouchet
I am star rating this recipe as an entry in the Ready Set Cook 2 Contest. A great interpretation and combination using 5 required ingredients. Only change I made was pan searing the shrimp instead of oven cooking (tested this in August!). The vanilla-shrimp combination was a wonderful choice, putting this salad above the ordinary. This is a delightful and elegant seafood salad idea and I plan to serve it again.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, shelled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1⁄2 cup baby carrots, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced fresh green beans
- 6 -8 cups field greens
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup nut oil (hazelnut preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup diced vine-ripe tomatoes
- 2 hardboiled egg, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs (chives, parsley and chervil)
- 4 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- sea salt (kosher salt can be substituted)
- ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss shrimp in the juice of half of the lemon, vanila and 1 tablespoon salad oil.
- Place on a baking sheet and roast in oven (for 5 to 7 minutes) until shrimp turns white, tossing occasionally.
- Remove shrimp from oven and cool to room temperature.
- Blanche carrots and beans in boiling salted water for 1 minute, strain and cool to room temperature.
- Tear or slice field greens in thin strips.
- Combine vinegar, juice of other half of the lemon and shallot.
- Let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- For vinaigrette, combine remaining salad oil and nut oil with vinegar/lemon juice mixture, mixing well in large mixing bowl.
- Toss lettuce with shrimp, vegetables, egg, herbs and half of well mixed vinaigrette.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and serve.