Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy stovetop casserole. One-dish vegetarian pasta meal with creamy cheese sauce, chunks of fresh zucchini and the tang of canned tomatoes.
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 cups coarsely chopped zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 (16 ounce) package small shell pasta, cooked
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can recipe ready tomatoes, drained
- In a skillet, saute onion and zucchini in olive oil with basil until tender-crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook and drain pasta and return to its cooking pot.
- While pasta is still hot, over low heat, mix in cheddar cheese soup UNDILUTED, mustard, shredded cheese, salt and pepper and stir constantly with wooden spoon until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add a spoonful of water or so if it seems too thick.
- Carefully fold in cooked zucchini mixture and then tomatoes.
- Serve hot!
- Goes great with crusty bread and a fresh salad.
I made this for my family and they loved it. It was a great way to use up zucchini!
This was a great one dish meal. Just like homeade mac and cheese with more nutrients and a great way to use up that zucchini. The only thing I did different was use some over-ripe tomatoes instead of canned since I had to get rid of them. I just cut and heated them a bit first before adding so they were the same texture. Will deffinitely make again.