Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great to make at Christmas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups Butter Flavor Crisco
- 1 cup firmly packed sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups oatmeal (Quick or Old Fashioned)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups finely chopped nuts
- 2⁄3 cup fruit preserves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat Crisco and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add combined oats, flour and salt; mix well.
- Form 1 inch balls; roll in nuts.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Press centers with thumb; fill with preserves.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack; cool completely.
I have been making this cookie for my 2 boys since they were very young. My younger son is now turning 18 and this is still his favorite cookie. If there is anything he asks for at Christmas, it's these Thumbprint cookies!!
What a hoot! My friend and I , in doing our holiday baking, found this in an old book and tried it. We got silly and misread the recipe so mixed the nuts into the dough. We both like coconut so added a small handful to the mix. We then used pineapple jam in the dent. They are easier if popped into the fridge for about half an hour, but not really necessary. Absolutely fabulous....... These gems will decorate the plates and delight the palates of both our homes and workplaces this Christmas. Try them, with or without our changes and you will be pleased.