Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
BBQ tri tip.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely slices
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup steak sauce, A1
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coffee beans, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 lbs tri-tip roast
- 12 slices French rolls
- To make the barbecue sauce:
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, ketchup, steak sauce, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, ground coffee, and black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Purée the sauce in a food processor or blender.
- Allow to cool, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
- To make the dry rub:
- In a small bowl, mix together the black pepper, garlic powder, salt, dried mustard, paprika, and cayenne.
- Press the mixture into the surface of the tri-tip, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Follow the grill’s instructions for using wood chips.
- Sear the tri-tip directly over medium heat, turning once, until both sides are seared, about 5 minutes total.
- Then grill the tri-tip indirectly over medium heat, turning once, until the internal temperature is about 140 degrees Fahrenheit for medium-rare, 20 to 30 minutes more.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing thinly on the diagonal against the grain.
- Build each roll with slices of meat and a dollop of sauce.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.