Recipe by Jellyqueen
I received this recipe from my ExMIL many years ago. This is a Christmas "must" around my house. The best part is that they do not require any special ingredients. Most everyone has the ingredients for these in the pantry and fridge.
Top Review by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. My copy is slightly different. It calls for all purpose flour, 3 tbl sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 cup walnuts or pecans. The rest is the same. Bake time time is different it says bake 10-12 minutes. The recipes also says it yields: 2 dozen cookies. There is a tip from the test kitchen: These sandy-textured cookies freeze well. For a festive touch, tint the dough with a bit of food coloring. Thanks for posting. Christine (internetnut)
- 1 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (I sometimes substitute pure lemon extract)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups powdered sugar, for rolling cooked tarts
Directions See How It's Made
- Reheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Work 5 Tablespoons flour, vanilla and nuts into creamed mixture.
- Take teaspoon size of mixture and roll into a ball.
- Place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed lightly with oil.
- Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes.
- Roll tarts in powdered sugar as soon as they are removed from oven.
- When cooled roll tarts in sugar again and store in air tight containers.