Prep 12 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Another recipe from my Step Grandmothers recipe book.
- 4 -6 salt herring fillets
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup swedish spirit vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 5 teaspoons allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 red onion, sliced
- sliced dill sprigs
- Soak the herring in cold water for about 12 hrs, or follow the directions on the package.
- Drain them.
- Mix the sugar, vinegar and water in a separate bowl.
- Add the allspice, bay leaf and onion.
- Pour the dressing over the herring and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut the herring into 1 inch thick slices.
- Cover with dressing and garnish with red onion rings and dill sprigs.
- Another variation:.
- Instead of allspice, you can add 1 teaspoons of whole cloves and 5 crushed white peppercorns to the dressing.
- Bring to a boil, let cool and pour over the herring reserving about 1/4 cup.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Slice the herring and place in serving dish.
- Add the rest of the dressing and serve.