Recipe by JenSmith
This bread is great for breakfast, making French toast, or bread pudding. It's so easy to make, tastes great, and is healthy to boot. This is a no-knead yeast bread. Not for bread machine! From Southern Living, February 1986.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened orange juice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, raisins, sugar and orange rind.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a medium bowl. Stir in oil, orange juice, and egg. Pour into flour mixture, blending well.
- Place dough in a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loafpan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden brown.