Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs 20 mins
Cook 32 mins
Salt cod macaroni bake
Make and share this Salt Cod Macaroni Bake recipe from Food.com.
- Run the salt cod under cold water for about 10 minutes, then soak it in more cold water for at least a few hours (changing the water a few times), or overnight in a spacious container if that suits you better. If your cod is very stiff, it may need more help: after soaking, place in a pan of cold water and bring to a light simmer. Set aside and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Cook the macaroni al dente, according to the instructions on the packet, then drain and cool under cold water. Oil lightly to prevent it sticking.
- Over a low-medium heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan and fry the garlic and thyme leaves for a couple of minutes before stirring in the flour. Add a little milk and stir well. Keep gradually adding the milk and turn the heat up a bit. Bring the smooth sauce up to a bubble, then turn it off and stir in the mustard and nutmeg.
- Pick out and discard any bones and skin from the salt cod.
- Now mix the salt cod and macaroni into the sauce until well combined. Season, mostly with pepper (easy on the salt). Check the consistency of the dish - it needs to be quite wet, as the macaroni will continue absorbing in the oven, so add a splash more milk if necessary.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish, sprinkle the top with the Parmesan, breadcrumbs and oregano and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden on top and bubbling round the edges.