Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
Always wanted to know how to make a salt baked fish? So did I...tried out quite a few recipes, and loved this one from Donna Hay's "flavours" cookbook. It is essential that your fish is FRESH.
- 4 small whole fish, such as snapper,gutted (350g-400g each)
- cracked black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 12 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 -5 kg coarse rock salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220C).
- Wash fish and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the inside cavities of the fish well with pepper, lemon juice and the parsley sprigs.
- Spread two baking trays with half the salt.
- Place the fish on the baking trays and cover with the remaining salt.
- Press the salt firmly around the fish and sprinkle a little bit of water.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then allow the fish to rest on the trays for another 5 minutes.
- To serve, remove the salt in large pieces, and place the fish on serving plates.
- Serve with salad and lemon wedge.
Hubby love fish done this way in Italy. I always wanted to try doing it at home. This made the fish so moist. Well sure be making this again. Was so cheap to with the fish from a friend and the salad and herbs from my garden. So easy too.