Recipe by Joyously Obscene David
I have been seeing tomatillos in the market for a while now and let me tell you, they've been taunting me. A name like a tomato, the look of garlic and, as I later found out, the tartness of an apple. But don't let that discourage you from making a spicy salsa out of them! I toyed around with this recipe and I really enjoy it. The directions may look long but it's SOOOO easy!
Top Review by Crunchy Numbers
Great stuff! I substituted 2 green onions for the shallot, and used two fairly large jalapenos. It turned out pretty hot, so my suggestion is to go ahead and roast 2 or 3 jalapenos, but when you go to blend it in the food processor, just start with one and taste before throwing in another. Thanks so much for posting this recipe...we love salsa!
- 1 lb tomatillo (I had about 7 or 8 medium sized)
- 1 medium shallot
- 1⁄2 large green pepper
- 1 -3 jalapeno (1 for medium 2 for mild 3 if you like it hot!)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili flakes
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- Peel back the leaves of the tomatillos and chop of the top of the tomatillo just as you would a tomato.
- Wash very well.
- Cut in half.
- Cut the top of the shallot, but leave the root.
- Peel off skin.
- Cut your green pepper in half.
- Take out ribs and seeds and either cut pepper piece in half or leave whole.
- Cut the stem off the jalepino and cut in half long ways.
- Place all on a baking sheet and using about 1T olive oil, drizzle over ingredients. Coat everything very well and evenly.
- Face everything on the pan cut side down.
- Place in oven for 10-15minutes.
- Once time is up, remove baking sheet and using a spatula (or your tool of choice) place tomatillos and peppers in food processor.
- Cut the root off the shallots and the ribs and seeds out of the jalepinos. Discard seeds and ribs. Throw the rest in the food processor as well.
- Juice half of one lime into the processor and put in 1/3 cup cillantro, 1/8t chili flakes.
- Blend and add more s&p to taste! Serve with tortilla chips or at a taco bar!