Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A slightly spicy mexican twist to generic scalloped potatoes!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2⁄3 cup diced bell pepper (green, red, or both)
- 2 whole green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons margarine (you may use light or non hydrogenated)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes, then place in a microwaveable casserole dish and cover; microwave potatoes High for 7 minutes, stirring once; set aside.
- Spray a 2L (I use 9x13") baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the bottom of the baking dish, layer half of each of the potatoes, peppers and green onions, repeat layer; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt margarine, add flour, blending well; add milk and cumin and cook over medium-high heat stirring until thickened.
- Whisk in 1 cup of the grated cheese until smooth; stir in salsa.
- Pour milk mixture over potatoes, and sprinkle potatoes with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and the top is bubbly and golden.
Really good and a little different. Sauce is thick and creamy with just a hint of cumin. Not overly spicy. I baked at 375 for about 25 minutes. In a 13x9 dish, there would be plenty of room to double the recipe. Added a little salt and pepper at serving. Thanks for sharing your recipe!