Recipe by nsmteacher
My dh and I dined in an upscale restaurant and ordered chips and fresh salsa as an appetizer. We ask for the recipe but had no luck. After several visits, we were able to identify most of the flavors. This is my copycat version. I love the fresh taste and crunchy texture of the fresh veggies with warm tortilla chips.
Top Review by windywood
OUTSTANDING flavors! I particularly liked the cucumber and the tang of red wine vinegar. I also liked the crushed tomatoes. The flavor is so fresh even though it is canned. Thanks for sharing this!
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I use Del Monte)
- 1 small cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 radish, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve Olive Oil for last addition.
- Stir the rest of the ingredients together, blending well.
- Add olive oil last and just incorporate it, don't over mix.
- Chill at least a couple of hours, overnight is best for flavors to blend.
- Serve with warm tortilla chips as a side for a mexican meal, or just for snacking.