Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Bon Appétit , June 2003, R.S.V.P.,Daveed's at 934, Cincinnati, OH.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 3 tablespoons prepared white horseradish
- 12 ounces bunch broccoli rabe (also called rapini)
- 12 ounces orecchiette (little ear-shaped pasta)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 24 ounces salmon fillets, with skin
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until deep golden brown, about 28 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Boil cream and clam juice in heavy large saucepan until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Whisk in horseradish.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Caramelized onions and sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
- Cook broccoli rabe in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer to plate.
- Reserve cooking water.
- Cut broccoli rabe lengthwise in half, then chop coarsely crosswise.
- Return water in pot to boil.
- Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to same pot.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, caramelized onions, broccoli rabe, Parmesan cheese, and 3/4 cup reserved cooking liquid.
- Toss pasta mixture over medium-high heat until heated through, adding remaining reserved cooking liquid if pasta is dry, about 5 minutes.
- Season pasta to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add salmon to skillet, skin side up, and cook until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Turn salmon over and cook until skin is golden brown and crisp and salmon is just opaque in center, about 3 minutes longer.
- Bring horseradish sauce to simmer.
- Divide pasta mixture among 4 plates.
- Top with salmon, skin side down.
- Spoon horseradish sauce over salmon and serve.