Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from Gourmet Magazine. The mustard-herb butter gives a lemony pop to the meatiness of the fish, while the French green lentils add a unique texture that regular brown lentils just don't have. Posted for ZWT-8 France.
For mustard-herb butter
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup french green lentil
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 24 ounces salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For mustard butter- stir together all ingredients with 1/4 teaspoons each of salt and pepper.
- Bring lentils, water, and 3/4 teaspoons salt to a boil in a heavy medium saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are just tender, 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid, then drain lentils.
- While lentils cook, chop leeks, then wash. Cook leeks in butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Add lentils with reserved cooking liquid to leeks along with 3 tablespoons mustard-herb butter and cook, stirring, until lentils are heated through and butter is melted. Add lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and keep warm, covered.
- Saute salmon while leeks cook. Pat salmon dry and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then saute salmon turning once, until golden and just cooked through, 6-8 minutes total.
- Serve salmon, topped with remaining mustard-butter, over lentils.
Delicieux! Even with the high fat amount I enjoyed this. I did cut back a lot on the butter and did not miss any of it. Loved the tarragon in this! This is quick and very easy to bring together. I did start to brown my salmon stove top, spooned some of the butter from the pan over it then finished it under the broiler. You`ll impress many with this dish. I served with Asparagus With Sauce Gribiche. Merci!
Mmmmm. Nice combination, lentils and salmon. The butter is lemony and just a hint of mustard.
I loved this. I even used the mustard butter for a vegetarian patty for DD as well as for the salmon. Made for ZWT8.