Recipe by nicky wagerfield
this is a bit fiddly cos i made it up as i went along... but it was wonderful & i just had to share it with everyone. basic ingredients most have in their store. this can be served as a seafood starter or hearty main meal (on its own, even!)
- 4 pieces salmon steaks
- 1 big leek
- 3 big garlic cloves
- 1 cup peas (frozen or fresh, if fresh par cook before hand)
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 cup mushroom
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (semi or full fat)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt
- cracked pepper
- 1 vegetable stock cubes or 1 fish stock cube
- 2 teaspoons dill (fresh or dried)
- olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 ready rolled puff pastry (to fit your dish, one roll or pack should be enough, i used half amount with these measurements)
Directions See How It's Made
- *sweat leek & lemon rind in little olive oil, add chopped garlic & simmer a little longer. remove from pan & keep separate in bowl.
- *brown mushrooms in some olive oil. remove & add to leek mixture.
- *lightly fry broccoli & cauliflower after par-boiling. remove & add to leek mixture.
- *fry off salmon pieces so cooked all the way through but do not overcook otherwise it will dry out.
- *melt butter in saucepan, add milk, heat, add stock cube & dill. once melted add cornflour, salt, pepper (to taste) & parmesan. once thickened & smooth add lemon juice then remove from heat.
- *place veggie mix at base of 20cm deep baking dish, then salmon pieces.
- *pour over white sauce.
- *bash dish onto surface to compact ingredients then cover with enough puff pastry (trim or add to cover evenly), brush with milk.
- *heat oven to 375ºF/190ºC then bake pie till pastry is golden brown.